First threats of closure. The period between the two world wars was a time of disillusionment for the University of Dijon, which was not recovering well from the rupture created by the conflict.
It had lost its dynamism, appeared weakened and feared that it would be closed down, as rumors spread across the country.
Celebration of the bicentennial of the University of Dijon and its Faculty of Law in the presence of the President of the Republic, Alexandre Millerand, who was pleased to have presided over a ceremony at which a number of solemn commitments were made, guaranteeing the future of the university and saving it temporarily.
The financial crisis of 1934 triggered a serious budget deficit that threatened the University of Dijon in particular.
Albert Lebrun, President of the Republic, cancelled this project, refusing to close the University of Nancy, city of his birth, and in the process saving the University of Dijon as well…
The Nazi General Staff occupied the faculties of letters and law.
University life “continued” until 1944 under very difficult conditions. The university was certainly not collaborationist, the faculties of science and literature manifesting a timid hostility towards the enemy. The students, for their part, were more committed, often at the risk of their lives.
December 30, 1945
The final threats of closure. The university found itself in a critical financial situation.
A bill provided for the suppression of the faculty of sciences in Dijon and Besançon and the distribution of the teaching of literature between the two universities. Canon Kir intervened at the National Assembly and obtained the withdrawal of the bill.
February 21, 1946
The new rector, Marcel Bouchard, assumed his duties.
He was surprised by the university, which was confined to cramped and inadequate premises, and decided to give it the space it needed to develop, taking as a model the campuses of English and American universities, which constructed their buildings on a single site.
Creation of the university’s vineyard and oenological estate in Marsanny-La-Côte.
First wine produced and marketed under the university seal in 1959.
October 12, 1957
René Billères, Minister of National Education, inaugurated the Faculty of Sciences and laid the foundation stone of the Faculty of Law and Economics.
After ten years of tenacious efforts, Rector Bouchard wrote “that its completion signaled the end of difficult times and seemed to herald peaceful years for the university…”
Since 2012, the Gabriel building has been listed as a historic monument.
Creation and implantation of numerous facilities on the Montmuzard campus.
May 11, 13, 1968
Airing of the first Radio Dijon Campus program, reporting on university and cultural life with interviews of national and international artists (Christophe, Daft Punk, Muse…).
Creation of the regional association of technological development “Burgundy technologies” designed to facilitate the transfer of scientific, technological and innovation skills to the business world.
June 15, 1990
Presentation of the development plan for the Dijon campus, designed by Rémi Zaugg, artist, Pierre de Meuron and Jacques Herzog, associated architects based in Basel, future winners of the 2001 Pritzker Prize (considered the Nobel Prize for architecture) for their work as a whole, including the Antipodes university residence on the Montmuzard campus.
August 3, 1990
Creation of the University Institute of Vine and Wine.
Inauguration of the European Center for Taste and Feeding Behavior.
April 1, 2015
Creation of the community of universities and institutions: “Université de Bourgogne Franche-Comté,” which brought together seven institutions of the greater region.
February 2-3, 2016
Alain Bonnin was re-elected for a second term.
The uB was awarded the European university FORTHEM label (Fostering Outreach Within European Regions, Transnational Higher Education and Mobility).